Greenwood FMLA Lawyers Indiana Employees Win Their Lawsuits

Attorneys Fighting Aggressively For The Rights Of Workers And Their Family Leave Time

In the state of Indiana, qualified employees are eligible for up to 12 weeks of time off of work during certain life events. The Family Medical Leave Act grants this leave time to employees, but sometimes employers will deny the leave or retaliate against the employee for exercising their FMLA rights. In these cases, employees can take legal action.

Our labor law lawyers have successfully helped workers win their FMLA cases across the state in cities like Greenwood, Indianapolis, Shelbyville, Columbus, Carmel, and Zionsville. In our years of experience assisting clients at our Greenwood employment law firm, we have been asked many questions about the Family Medical Leave Act.

Here are some that we frequently hear:

  • What Is The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) In Indiana?
  • Can An FMLA Lawyer Tell Me If I Qualify For Leave?
  • What Should I Do If My Employer Won’t Allow Me To Temporarily Leave Work?

What Is The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) In Indiana?

The Family Medical Leave Act, or FMLA for short, was developed to give employees necessary time off during major life events. Work takes up a significant amount of time and energy in a person’s life.

This act recognizes that certain life events must take priority at times and makes it so an employer must grant up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave time. An employer must grant the time off without retaliation if certain criteria are met.

Can An FMLA Lawyer Tell Me If I Qualify For Leave?

Yes. An employment law legal professional can look at your case and tell you if you qualify for unpaid leave from your job. Here are the circumstances that must be met to qualify for leave from work under the Family Medical Leave Act:

  • Your employer has 50 employees or more.
  • You worked for a minimum of 1,250 hours in the past year of being employed.
  • You have worked for your employer for a minimum of one year.
  • You are experiencing a qualifying life event such as an illness of a parent, child, spouse, or yourself.

Assessing your situation with a labor law attorney will allow you to determine if you have a valid case. A seasoned Greenwood employment lawyer will be able to protect your rights and ensure that you get the time off of work that you’re entitled to.

What Should I Do If My Employer Won’t Allow Me To Temporarily Leave Work?

The FMLA is in place to protect workers in situations like yours. If you find that your employer is refusing to let you take time off of work for an emergency or qualifying life event, then you have legal options.

Some companies go as far as to punish their employees for taking the time off by demoting them or reducing their pay. This is illegal and unacceptable.

If you find yourself in this situation, then you need legal help. Your first step is to contact a seasoned FMLA employment lawyer for a consultation.

They will start by assessing your situation and building your case. Each case and employer is unique, and your labor attorney will offer honest legal advice and be able to guide you through the legal process for the best chance at a positive outcome.

Contact Our Award-Winning Greenwood Family Medical Leave Act Law Firm

Life changing events like a family illness are stressful enough without having to worry about losing your job and source of income. The FMLA is set to protect you, but a lawyer will help enforce this protection. Talk to one of the best Johnson County labor attorneys at Henn Haworth Cummings + Page to discuss your legal options.

Call 317-885-0041 today. Our top employment discrimination attorneys are ready to help with a free consultation!